Area Chair, Marketing
Additional Roles: Associate Professor, Marketing; Dean's Scholar
Phone: (703) 993-1796
Office Location: 9900 Main Street, 206 and Enterprise Hall 175
Office Hours: By appointment
Jessica Hoppner is the area chair, an associate professor and Dean's Scholar within the marketing area in the Costello College of Business at George Mason University. She joined George Mason University in 2010 after receiving her Ph.D. in Marketing from Michigan State University.
Hoppner's primary research interests lie in understanding the interplay of power, inequity, and social norms on the behaviors in and performance of marketing relationships.
Her research has appeared in Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Retailing, Academy of Management Journal, European Journal of Marketing, Journal of Business Research, and Journal of International Marketing, among other outlets. She was the recipient of the 2021 S. Tamer Cavusgil award (JIM) and a finalist for the 2022 Weitz-Winer-O'Dell Award (JMR). Since 2018, she has served as an Associate Editor for the European Journal of Marketing.
Hoppner teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in both marketing research and marketing management (strategies and principles). She was the recipient of the outstanding Professor in Marketing Major Teaching Award in 2015.
- Social Norms, Power, and Inequity
- Channels of Distribution & Retailing
- Cross-Cultural Influences & International Marketing
- PhD - Marketing, Michigan State University
- BS - Marketing, Finance, and International Business, Villanova University
Research and Awards
- "Choices and Consequences: Recommendations for an Improved Understanding of Cultural Distance in International Marketing Research," with D. Griffith, and T. Dean, Journal of International Marketing, 29(3), 2021, 23-42.
- Winner, 2021 S. Tamer Cavusgil Award
- "Examining Moral Authority in the Marketplace: A Conceptualization and Framework," with G. Vadakkepatt, Journal of Business Research, 95, 2019, 417-427.
- “The Influence of the Structure of Interdependence on the Response to Inequity in Buyer-Supplier Relationships,” with D. Griffith, H. Lee, and T. Schoenherr, Journal of Marketing Research, 54(1), 2017, 124-137.
- Finalist, 2022 Weitz-Winer-O'Dell Award
- “Looking Back to Move Forward: A Review of the Evolution of Research in International Marketing Channels,” with D. Griffith, Journal of Retailing, 91(4), 2015, 610-626.
- “The Intertwined Relationships of Power, Justice, and Dependence,” with D. Griffith and C. Yao, European Journal of Marketing, 48(9/10), 2014, 1690-1708.
- “The Role of Reciprocity in Clarifying the Performance Payoff of Relational Behavior,” with D. Griffith, Journal of Marketing Research, 48(5), 2011, 920-928.
- School of Business Faculty Award for Outstanding Service, George Mason University, 2021.
- Outstanding Professor of Marketing Teaching Award, George Mason University, 2015.