Assistant Professor, Information Systems and Operations Management
Phone: (703) 993-4697
Office Location: Enterprise Hall 149
Office Hours: Tuesday and Thursday, 10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and by appointment
Tim Porter instructs in the areas of operations management, project and program management, and business strategy. In addition to his more than 6 years of college teaching experience, he has extensive industry experience including 20 years as a senior manager at Science Applications International and 10 years in China.
While in China he was a professor at a top Chinese university and general manager of global business for Hundsun Technologies in Hangzhou, China. He has on occasion been an advisor to the Chinese government on matters related to business cooperation with the United States, and an invited speaker at various conferences. He speaks Mandarin.
Porter graduated from the University of New Orleans and George Washington University.
- MSA - Information Technology, George Washington University
- BS - Mathematics, University of New Orleans
Research and Awards
- Presented the paper titled “Cultural Diversity and Project Management” at the PMI in Baltimore, Maryland in 2012.
- Presented the paper titled “Project Management Lessons Learned in Multicultural Projects” at the Project Management Institute Lunch Seminar in Washington, DC.
- Published an article titled, “Culture and KM in China” (with coauthors) in the Journal of Information and Knowledge Management.
- Presented the paper titled “Impact of Culture on Multinational Projects” at the Project Management Institute Lunch Seminar in Washington, DC.