Transfer VCCS

The School of Management has a great working relationship with the Virginia Community College System, which makes the process of transferring relatively easy. Here are a couple of helpful hints to make this transition even easier:

  • We recommend that you finish your AA or AS at the community college before transferring to Mason. With your degree completed, you may be eligible to waive all of the University General Education Requirements except the ENGL 302 and Synthesis requirements. Also, you may be eligible for the Dean's Admit Program. If you transfer before completing your degree, you may have to take additional courses to fulfill requirements.
  • Make certain that the Mason Admissions Office has a copy of your final transcript stating that you have earned your AA or AS degree. Without a final transcript, Mason's Office of Admissions cannot process your general education waiver.
  • The waiver is not valid for students with degrees that have "Applied" in the title of their degree.

The following information is essential for new transfer students:

  • Your Degree Evaluation is a real-time analysis of how the courses you have taken apply towards your BS degree. It is your responsibility to know how to interpret your Degree Evaluation. Read through this checklist and then go to the site for interpreting your degree evaluation.
    • Remember, all VCCS students who have earned an AA or AS degree may be eligible to waive the University General Education Requirements, except the ENGL 302 and Synthesis requirements, and may be eligible for the Dean's Admit Program.
    • Your Degree Evaluation should show the waiver. If it does not, send an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .
    • If you did not receive an AA or AS at VCCS you are responsible for all of the general education courses. Your Degree Evaluation will identify how the courses you took at VCCS apply towards those requirements. Do you know how to register for classes?
  • As a School of Management student, you need Math 108. (Math 113 will substitute for Math 108) If you did not take the equivalent at VCCS, you will need a placement test. Do you know about placement and for-credit testing? Check out our information on testing.
  • You are entering Mason as a BPRE student and must apply and be admitted to the School of Management. Do you know what the requirements for admission are or how to apply? Check out our information on admissions to BS status.
  • We want all of our students to graduate and start working in the field of their choice. How do you do this? Check out our Career Services….a must!
  • Want to get the most out of your college career? Follow our Plan For Academic and Career Excellence. As a transfer student begin the PACE program at the New Transfer button and then work through the program to your current number of credit hours.
  • After registering there are a few important steps that you should complete immediately.

For information on the Dean's Admit Program, click here.

George Mason University School of Management

Ranked by U.S. News & World Report in the top 15 percent of all AACSB accredited business schools, the School of Management is one of only 10 percent of business schools worldwide that is accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International.





Main Campus
School of Management
4400 University Drive, MS 1B1
Enterprise Hall
Fairfax, VA 22030

AACSB Accreditation