General Education Courses
All undergraduates seeking a baccalaureate degree from George Mason University must complete the university general education requirements. The requirements and the recommended courses that fulfill these requirements are listed below.
- Written Communication (lower level) – ENGL 101 or 100 (for non-native speakers)
- Oral Communication – COMM 100 or 101
- Information Technology – IT 103, or a combination of CS 112 and one of the following CS 105, ENGR 107 or PHIL 112
- Quantitative Reasoning (completed by college requirement in the School of Management)
- Fine Arts
- U.S. History – HIST 120 (not required by catalog years 2006 and forward)
- Western Civilization – HIST 100 (for 2006 catalog years and forward can choose between HIST 100 or HIST 125)
- Global Understanding - MSOM 305
- Social and Behavior Sciences (completed by college requirement for the School of Management)
- Natural Sciences (General Education requires only 7 credits but the School of Management requires 8 credits and recommends a lab science sequence)
- Written Communication (upper level) – ENGL 302 (business section recommended). Prerequisite: 45 credits hours and completion of ENGL 101 or 100 and Literature.
- Synthesis – SOM 498. Taken after completion of all School of Management core courses and at least 90 credits.
See the University Catalog for course descriptions.