School of Management Ask the Professionals Career Panel Series
Ask the Professionals is your opportunity to talk with alumni and employers about careers in each of the School of Management majors and industries of interest. The format for the career panels is as follows:
- Welcome of Employers and brief introductions.
- Panel Discussion begins where, students are given the opportunity to ask questions about academics, career choice, job search and/or current market trends
- The event concludes with the opportunity to network with the panelists
See SOM Career Calendar of Events for this semester's dates, times, locations, and participating employers!
What kinds of questions might you ask?
Each professional wants to provide students with as much information about their career field as possible. Feel free to explore and ask questions! Here are a few questions to get you started.
- How well did your college experience prepare you for this job?
- What courses were most helpful?
- What courses do you wish you would have taken?
- What classes outside of the business major (or what minors) are helpful in this field?
Continued Learning Opportunities
- What entry level jobs offer the best opportunities for learning?
- What types of training do companies offer to those who enter this field?
- Is graduate school recommended? An MBA?
- In what ways is your occupation changing?
- How is the economy affecting this industry?
- What are the growth areas in this field?
- What do you find unique about your career field?
- What kinds of people experience the greatest success in this field?
- What skills or talents are most essential to be effective in your job?
- How did you learn these skills?
- What professional associations are important in this field?
- Why did you decide to work for this company?
- How does your company differ from its competitors?
- Describe some of the toughest situations you’ve face on this job.
- What is the next step in your career?
- What technologies do you use in your current position?
- In what areas do you see this company growing?
- How can someone best prepare to fit those growing needs?
- On your website, I see that an important company goal is to ____. How does your position support that goal?
- On your website, I see that you have a project group that does ____. Can you tell me more about this group?