SOM 492/ACCT 492
SOM 492/ACCT 492 Internship Course is a three-credit elective course designed to give students the opportunity to gain practical, professional experience in conjunction with their academic development.
This three-credit elective course is designed to give students the opportunity to gain practical, professional experience in conjunction with their academic development. SOM 492/ACCT 492 is offered in fall, spring, and summer academic terms. The internship must be completed within same academic semester to receive course credit.
Requirements to Participate:
Note: All requirements must be met at the beginning of the semester your application is submitted to enroll.
1. Must have Bachelor of Science status in the School of Management or be enrolled in the Accounting Certificate Program. *To qualify for ACCT 492 you MUST be a member of the Accounting Honors Program.
2. Completed 75 hours of course credit
3. Cumulative GPA of a 2.8 or higher
4. Secure an Internship Position prior to applying. The internship must allow you to complete a minium of 150 hours.
5. Student must complete all required application documents
6. Employer must sign the Experiential Learning Agreement
7. Student must upload a copy of their resume to HireMason
How to Apply:
1. Determine if you are eligible to participate. Requirements listed above.
2. To obtain provisional approval complete the following forms:
- Internship Application with Job Description attached
- Experiential Learning Agreement
- Upload resume to HireMason
- Student Contact Form for NEW or CONTINUINGexperiences.
- Please Note: If your internship is continuing you must state on your Student Contact Form how the experience has changed from the previous semester.
- All documents MUST BE TYPED for full approval (If you cannot fill out the form, please open in Adobe to be able to do so).
3. Return all completed forms to School of Management Career Services in Enterprise Hall, Room 008. See important deadlines below.
4. Once your documents have been provisionally approved they will be turned over to the Faculty Instructor for Final approval.
5. Once the faculty instructor has all of your paperwork you will receive a CRN number to register for SOM 492/ACCT 492 on PatriotWeb.
Note: Enrollment in the course is based on a first come, first served basis and ALL documents must be completed and turned in.
- Deadline is the 2 BUSINESS DAYS PRIOR TO THE LAST DAY TO ADD/DROP each semester. Check your academic calendar for the specific date.
- Submit your typed application to School of Management Career Services in Enterprise Hall, Room 008.
How the Class Works:
- There is no class time except for the end of semester presentations and you will be required to meet periodically with your professor.
- Most assignments and information will be completed via internet.
- Exception: End of semester presentations will be scheduled and students must attend. Time and location is based on student availability and schedules.
- One career-related project is required. Topic is determined between student and professor based on type of work student is performing and industry information.
- Students are required to submit weekly journal entries via internet.
- Mid-term and end-of-semester evaluations will be required by employer and student. Evaluations will be provided by professor.