“Fresh Meat”

February 6, 2012

MS in Technology Management

As I watched the new class roll in a couple weeks ago, it reminded me of how life used to be.  Nights spent doing enjoyable things.  No angry mumblings to oneself over how a given textbook isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. No random “snapping” at unsuspecting spouses or significant others for seemingly no reason.  Back in a time when group meetings were not yet your main source of social interaction (and frustration).  Those were the days!

Now, we see a new class that has just embarked on the TECMAN journey.  A week prior to the first official class, anticipation was running rampant as their enthusiasm and thirst for knowledge was apparent.   We (the veterans) were faced with a barrage of questions at lunch and during breaks.  However, one week later, we saw a different look upon many of their faces.  They had just received the “fresh meat” orientation by our beloved Economics Professor, Ron.  In typical “Ron fashion”, he took it easy on the new students, and coddled them through the first chapters of his index-less Econ book.  He took extra special care to ensure that everyone was on the same page, and that all were comfortable with the speed in which he taught.  And while I’m sure there may have been some “stupid” questions asked during the class, there is no doubt that Ron responded with the patience and kindness we’ve all grown to know and love.  Okay, maybe not so much.

As I spoke to some of the “fresh meat” at The Well following their first day of classes, I saw more than one “air swoosh over the head” gesture when I asked about the ECON class.  Looks like Ron hasn’t softened since we last met him.  Oh well, the “fresh meat” will soon learn how to handle the stresses and frustrations of the program.

But I didn’t write this necessarily to discuss the future pain and suffering the “fresh meat” will be forced to endure.  Rather, I wrote this with a smile on my face, as it is a testament to how far we as a class have come.  We present our Capstones on May 12th.   That leaves us with 3 months.  That’s less than 1/5 of the coursework.  Seriously, how freaking amazing is that?!

So, the long and short of it is, we’re almost done.  The “fresh meat” serve as a weekly reminder of how long the journey has been, but how amazingly close we are to the finish line.  If for no other reason, I thank them for that.

, , , , , ,