Emerging Business Leader Awards
Presented by the School of Management Alumni Chapter, these awards annually recognize graduate and undergraduate students who have demonstrated the desire and aptitude to become an outstanding business leader and a distinguished representative of George Mason University's School of Management.
During the 2013 award cycle, there are two different categories that will be recognized—graduate student and undergraduate student. The following amounts will be given:
- One $1,000 graduate student award
- One $700 undergraduate student award
- An invitation to participate in key activities produced by the School of Management Alumni Chapter, a School of Management Regional Society, or Mason's Alumni Association
Student awardees will also receive a commemorative plaque on behalf of the School of Management Alumni Chapter. Additional awards may be given at the discretion of the awards committee. In 2011, 7 additional student recognitions were awarded in addition to the above student awards.
Eligibility Requirements & Selection Criteria
Eligible students for the 2013 award cycle should meet the following criteria:
- Fall 2013 registered Mason student in a School of Management degree program
- Excellent academic standing
Minimum 3.5 GPA for undergraduate students
Minimum 3.75 GPA for graduate students
Undergraduate candidates must have completed at least 60 credit hours. Transfer students must have at least 12 Mason credit hours (juniors and up)
Student award recipients are also chosen based on the following criteria:
- Scholastic Achievement
- Leadership and Business Acumen
- Commitment to Global Awareness or Diversity
- Service to the School of Management and George Mason University
- Other Community Service, Philanthropic Efforts, and Awards
Students chosen as finalists will be asked to participate in a professional photo shoot and awards reception during the 2013 School of Management Alumni Celebration on Friday, October 4 from 6:00 to 10 p.m.
Students recognized as finalists or winners in previous Emerging Business Leader Award cycles are ineligible to participate in the 2013 award cycle.
- A completed application form (PDF)
- A personal statement in no more than 500 words highlighting the student's achievements
- A resume or vita that does not exceed two pages demonstrating professional, extra-curricular, and volunteer experiences
- Optional: A professional or academic reference in no more than 500 words highlighting the relationship between the recommender and the student applicant and his/her relative achievements.